Hoja de ruta para la firma de contratos de aquellos que han sido seleccionados para plazas postdoctorales que pertenezcan a la UE

Jueves, 30 Enero, 2020


(Juan de la Cierva Formación, Incorporación; Ramón y Cajal; Atracción de talento de la CAM, Junior y Senior)

GET A “CERTIFICADO UE” (certificate of legal residence for EU citizens)  

  1. Make an appointment at Padre Piquer 18, Madrid: (Link)
  2. Apply early to avoid a long wait: you need to apply 3 to 4 weeks before you come to Madrid.
  3.  Take with you: Passport, offer of a contract (hiring statement), X-18 form filled (Link), Tasa: you have to pay around 10 Euros after downloading a form (Mod 790 – 12¸ Link). You could do this in the nearest bank machine. There is one on the same street: Bankia
  4. Once you apply, they will give you a document stating that you need to return with the signed contract and the alta in the Seguridad Social. However, you will get your NIE on this document!
  1. Affilation to Seguridad Social
    1. Go to Seguridad Social en Miguel Fleta 3, Madrid, where you do not need appointment to get this done. I would go as early as possible, i.e. 8:30 in the morning or so.
    2. Take with you: Your passport, the document with your NIE (you got it step 1), offer of a contract (hiring statement) and filled form TA1 (Link)
    3. Show them your NIE, so that you get affiliated with your NIE
  1. You will need a PhD equivalence before you can actually begin to work (incorporación). To sign the contract, it suffices that you applied for the equivalence. Under Spanish law, public universities can grant this equivalence. Depending the one you choose (and in Madrid you can pick Autónoma, Complutense, Carlos III, UNED, Rey Juan Carlos) you will need to provide several documents. It costs at around 170 euros. Autónoma de Madrid accepts all the documents in English, Italian and French, except for a summary of the PhD Thesis that has to be in Spanish. There exist good translators in the web, such as DeepL, which give you enough quality for a translation of the summary. This is the link of the Autónoma, where we have our own PhD program (Derecho, gobernanza y políticas públicas). (Link)
  1. Open a bank account: It is hard, if you still do not have a certificado UE, but Bankia accepts the passport. You need to open a nomina (i.e. salary) account there, where usually you do not have to pay extra fees, in exchange for the salary to be paid monthly to this account. That is what cuenta nomina means.
  1. Get a medical certificate: “certificado médico oficial para trabajar”. You pay around 20 Euros. Go to one of the centres in Madrid. It will take 30 minutes of examination. You can get one from here: (Link)
  1. Congratulations, you are ready to sign the contract! Afterwards, go back to step one. Get the alta de seguridad and contract, original and copy, back to the Padre Piquer 18 to get your Certificado UE. You do not need an appointment, but take your passport with you.
  1. Empadronamiento. Once you rent an accommodation, you should enrol yourself with the Madrid’s ayuntamiento (local council) to get a residence certificate (Padrón). You can do this by getting an appointment at the Ayuntamiento de Madrid website. You will need to provide some proof of residence (renting contract, for instance or electricity or phone or gas bills etc.).
  1. Medical assistance: The padrón (the certificate) is necessary to get enrolled in the health care system. To do that, you need to go to a health care centre, usually there will be on in your neighbourhood, and show them the Padrón, the Social security number and the NIE. They will assign you a GP (medico de cabecera).
  1. Digital Signature (Firma electronica). Finally, to be able to operate in the CSIC working environment, you need to get a digital signature. The CAU will help you to request the digital certificate that enables you to have a digital signature and they will help you to have it installed in your PC and in your laptop.